BURT MYERS SCORES NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN TOUR VICTORY SATURDAY NIGHT AT SOUTHERN NATIONAL RACEWAY PARK
by:Jason Mitchell NASCAR/PR
KENLY, N.C. NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour driver Burt Myers snapped a nagging losing streak on Saturday night in the Night of Modifieds 150 at Southern National Raceway Park.
Myers' victory on Saturday night by a comfortable 3.040-second margin of victory over second-place finisher Tim Brown ended a 13-race winless skid for the popular Walnut Cove, N.C. driver dating back to his last Whelen Southern Modified Tour win on Aug. 4, 2007 at Bowman Gray Stadium.
Myers led the first two laps until L.W. Miller took command on the third lap. Myers regained the lead from Miller and never looked back en route to the victory.
We had an awesome race car tonight and getting to celebrate like this is what it's all about, Myers said following his fifth career Whelen Southern Modified Tour victory. We've had a great car all year long, but it has seemed to lose a little bit of speed as we get deeper and longer in race runs. Tonight was just perfect and the car had all kinds of grip in it. All I needed to do was take my time and be careful.
Rounding out the top-five behind Myers (No. 1 JRC Investments Chevrolet) and Brown (No. 83 Hayes Jewelers Chevrolet were L.W. Miller, Andy Seuss and George Brunnhoelzl. The Top-10 was completed by Jason Myers, Buddy Emory, Thomas Stinson, John Smith and Frank Fleming.
Aside from Myers returning to Victory Lane in Whelen Southern Modified Tour competition, one of the biggest stories from Saturday night centered on point leader Brian Loftin who entered Southern National with a 79-point lead over defending Tour champion L.W. Miller.
Just past the Lap 35 mark, Loftin's No.23 L&R Transmission/QMF Solutions Chevrolet stalled on the track to bring about the race's first and only caution flag. Loftin experienced electrical problems and finished 15th while Miller ended up third which allowed him to cut Loftin's point advantage to 32 with three Whelen Southern Modified events remaining. Brown is 35 points behind Loftin in third in the standings and Myers sits only 37 behind Loftin in fourth.
Tonights event was even sweeter to some drives due to it being another qualifying race for the North South Shootout to be held in November. Myer already qualified from another event would put Tim Brown in the show due to his second place finish.
The Whelen Southern Modified Tour returns to action this Saturday, Sept. 20, at the legendary Martinsville ( Va. ) Speedway . The Whelen Made in America 300 is a combination race with the popular northern-based Whelen Modified Tour.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Night of Modifieds 150 Results
At Southern National Raceway Park
Kenley , NC
Lap length: 0.4 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut-Cove , N.C. , Chevrolet, 150 laps, 83.527 mph, $2,000.
2. (5) Tim Brown, Cana , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,500.
3. (3) L.W. Miller, Mooresville , N.C. , Pontiac, 150, $1,625.
4. (4) Andy Seuss, Hampstead , N.H. , Dodge, 150, $1,050.
5. (8) George Brunnhoelzl, Babylon , N.Y. , Ford, 150, $1,000.
6. (6) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150, $850.
7. (14) Buddy Emory, Petersburg , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $1,150.
8. (12) Thomas Stinson, Chester , VA. , Chevrolet, 150, $690.
9. (10) John Smith, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 149, $590.
10. (7) Frank Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac , 149, $550.
11. (15) Bobby Hutchens, Lexington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 148, $525.
12. (11) Brian King, Burlington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 148, $500.
13. (9) Scott Rigney, Mount Airy, N.C., Pontiac , 147, $485.
14. (13) Rich Kuiken, Jr., Staffordville , N.J. , Chevrolet, 146, $460.
15. (2) Brian Loftin, Lexington , N.C. , Chevrolet, 146, electrical, $445.
Time of Race: 0 hours 43 minutes 6 seconds
Margin of Victory: 3.040 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: L.Miller (101.046 mph, 14.251 seconds)
Caution Flags: 1 for 4 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: B.Myers 1-2; L.Miller 3-100; B.Myers 101-150.
Standings: 1. B.Loftin, 1265; 2. L.Miller, 1233; 3. T.Brown, 1230; 4. B.Myers, 1228; 5. J.Myers, 1140; 6. A.Seuss, 1131; 7. F.Fleming, 1126; 8. B.King, 1117; 9. G.Brunnhoelzl, 1060; 10. J.Smith, 1000.