Christopher Starts Title Defense With Pole At Thompson
Nineteenth Career Coors Light Pole Award For Defending Modified Champ
THOMPSON, Conn. (April 4, 2009) – Ted Christopher began his NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour defense by earning the Coors Light Pole Award Saturday afternoon at Thompson (Conn.) International Speedway in advance of Sunday's season-opening Icebreaker.
Christopher, of Plainville , Conn. , clinched his first NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour title at Thompson last October when he reached Victory Lane in the Xtra Mart World Series. On Saturday he laid down a fast lap of 18.612 seconds (120.890 mph) in the No. 36 Al-Lee Installations Chevrolet to earn his 19th career Coors Light Pole Award, and his eighth at Thompson. Following the redraw of the top six qualifiers, Christopher will start fourth for Sunday's 150-lap feature.
Doug Coby, of Milford , Conn. , was second-fastest during time trials in the No. 19 Major Motion Transport/Family Auto Center Chevrolet with a best lap of 18.719 seconds (120.199 mph). Glen Reen, the 2008 Sunoco Rookie of the Year from Wilbraham , Mass. , recorded the third-best time at 18.730 seconds (120.128 mph) in the No. 17 Reen Orthodontics/Pep Boys Chevrolet.
Jamie Tomaino, who will make his 500th NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour start on Sunday, was fourth-fastest in qualifying at 18.772 seconds (119.859 mph). Rowan Pennink rounded out the top five qualifiers with a best lap of 18.781 seconds (119.802 mph).
The rest of the top 10 qualifiers from Saturday's time trials were Mike Stefanik (18.791 seconds/119.738 mph), Erick Rudolph (18.798/119.694), Chris Pasteryak (18.852/119.351), Ryan Preece (18.864/119.275) and Donny Lia (18.870/119.237).
Following the redrew, the starting lineup will see Coby and Pennink on the front row, followed by Tomaino, Christopher, Stefanik and Reen.
The Icebreaker is scheduled to take the green flag on Sunday at approximately 3:15 p.m. Opening ceremonies, which will feature the recognition of Tomaino's milestone 500th start, are slated for 11:45 a.m. For ticket information, please visit Thompson's official Web Site (thompsonspeedway.com).
For more information, contact:
Jason Cunningham, NASCAR Public Relations, (704) 201-6658 or firstname.lastname@example.org
NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour - Icebreaker Lineup
Race Sunday; Qualifying Sunday
at Thompson International Speedway
Thompson , CT
Lap Length: 0.625 miles
1. (19) Doug Coby, Milford , Conn. , Chevrolet, 120.199
2. (93) Rowan Pennink, Huntingdon Valley , Pa. , Chevrolet, 119.802
3. (99) Jamie Tomaino, Howell , N.J. , Chevrolet, 119.859
4. (36) Ted Christopher, Plainville , Conn. , Chevrolet, 120.890
5. (16) Mike Stefanik, Coventry , R.I. , Pontiac , 119.738
6. (17) Glen Reen, Wilbraham , Mass. , Chevrolet, 120.128
7. (59) Erick Rudolph, Ransomville , N.Y. , Chevrolet, 119.694
8. (52) Chris Pasteryak, Lisbon , Conn. , Chevrolet, 119.351
9. (3) Ryan Preece, Kensington , Conn. , Chevrolet, 119.275
10. (4) Donny Lia, Jericho , N.Y. , Dodge, 119.237
11. (12) Jimmy Blewett, Howell , N.J. , Chevrolet, 119.060
12. (8) Glenn Tyler, Hampton Bays , N.Y. , Chevrolet, 119.048
13. (79) Ron Silk, Norwalk , Conn. , Pontiac , 118.966
14. (75) Carl Pasteryak, Lisbon , Conn. , Pontiac , 118.922
15. (2) Todd Szegedy, Ridgefield , Conn. , Ford, 118.897
16. (31) Tony Ferrante, Jr., New Hyde Park , N.Y. , Chevrolet, 118.846
17. (46) Eric Beers, Northampton , Pa. , Chevrolet, 118.828
18. (18) Ken Heagy, Calverton , N.Y. , Chevrolet, 118.690
19. (70) Andy Seuss, Hampstead , N.H. , Chevrolet, 118.658 #
20. (08) Tommy Farrell, III, Neptune , N.J. , Chevrolet, 118.652 *
21. (90) Renee Dupuis, Glastonbury , Conn. , Chevrolet, 118.571
22. (28) Woody Pitkat, Stafford , Conn. , Chevrolet, 118.515
23. (50) Kevin Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 118.253
24. (10) Ed Flemke, Jr., Southington , Conn. , Chevrolet, 118.241
25. (64) Eric Berndt, Cromwell , Conn. , Chevrolet, 118.197
26. (21) Richard Savary, Canton , Mass. , Chevrolet, 118.178
27. (14) Reggie Ruggiero, Rocky Hill, Conn. , Ford, 118.166
28. (68) Johnny Bush, Huntington Station , N.Y. , Chevrolet, 118.085
29. (1) Rob Summers, Vernon , Conn. , Chevrolet, 117.826
30. (32) Tom Abele, Jr., Norwich , Conn. , Chevrolet, 117.506
31. (58) Eric Goodale, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 116.950 *
32. (09) Bobby Grigas, III, Marshfield , Mass. , Chevrolet, 116.859
33. (05) Joe Hartmann, Calverton , N.Y. , Chevrolet, 115.717 +
34. (33) Wade Cole, Riverton , Conn. , Chevrolet, 115.426 +
35. (9) Jake Marosz, Middletown , Conn. , Chevrolet, 115.622 +
* Sunoco Rookie of the Year Contender
+ Provisional Starting Position
# Qualified Car for Andy Seuss
NOTE: Top Six Qualifiers Redrew