Seuss Picks Up Seventh Career Win at Caraway Speedway
ASHEBORO, N.C. – Andy Seuss knew he had a good car this weekend during practice for the Spring Classic 150 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race at Caraway Speedway. The New Hampshire native was able to pass Burt Myers on the first lap and later hold off a hard charge by L.W. Miller to pick his third win at Caraway and seventh overall on the tour.
James Civali finished third with Brian Loftin in fourth. Zach Brewer completed the top five.
“I want to thank will my crew for giving me a great car today,” Seuss said. “We were able to get out front and stay there but I knew L.W. (Miller) would give me a challenge.”
Seuss held leads by as much as five car lengths throughout the race and appeared to be in control before the last caution flag of the day flew with less than 20 laps remaining in the race.
“It was awfully hard to pass here today but we tried,” Miller said. “It was a good run for us after last weekend and I think we will get back to Victory Lane pretty soon.”
Civali had one of the fastest cars in the race, but just ran out of time.
“We had a great car today but we are just a tick off our set up,” Civali said. “We are close and we'll just keep working hard and get ready for South Boston.”
The race was slowed four times by caution with 16 cars running at the end of the race.
Burt Myers won his 22nd career Coors Light Pole and finished sixth. Tim Brown finished seventh and assumed the lead in the championship points standings—holding a nine-point advantage over Seuss.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to action on Saturday, April 3 at South Boston Speedway as part of a double-feature with the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East.
Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Spring Classic 150 Results
At Caraway Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Dodge, 150 laps, 78.876 mph, $2,000.
2. (4) L.W. MIller, Dushore, PA, Pontiac, 150, $1,800.
3. (7) James Civali, Meriden, CT, Chevrolet, 150, $1,425.
4. (3) Brian Loftin, Lexington, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $1,050.
5. (8) Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $1,000.
6. (1) Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150, $1,200.
7. (6) Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 150, $750.
8. (9) John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $690.
9. (10) Gene Pack, North Myrtle Beach, S.C., Chevrolet, 150, $590.
10. (11) Lee Jeffreys, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $550.
11. (12) Brandon Hire, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 150, $525.
12. (5) Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 150, $500.
13. (15) Gary Putnam, Concord, NC, Chevrolet, 149, $485.
14. (16) Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, Chevrolet, 148, $460.
15. (14) Brad Robbins, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 147, $445.
16. (19) Greg Butcher, Mocksville, NC, Chevrolet, 146, $530.
17. (13) Buddy Emory, Petersburg, VA, Chevrolet, 132, accident, $420.
18. (18) Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 95, accident, $410.
19. (17) Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Ford, 10, clutch, $400.
Time of Race: 0 hours 51 minutes 55 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.476 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: B.Myers (102.343 mph, 16.005 seconds)
Caution Flags: 4 for 22 laps.
Lead Changes: 0 among 1 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Seuss 1-150.
Standings: 1. T. Brown, 326; 2. A. Seuss, 317; 3. J. Civali, 315; 4. F. Fleming, 297; 5. Z. Brewer, 297; 6. L. Miller, 291; 7. B. Hire, 290; 8. J. Smith, 280; 9. B. Loftin, 275; 10. B. Myers, 262.
COCA COLA MOVE OF THE RACE AWARD: James Civali, 79 Hill Enterprises/Coors Light/LeBleu Water Chevrolet
COORS LIGHT POLE AWARD: Burt Myers, 1 Capital Bank/Patterson's Brand Chili Ford
FEATHERLITE MOST IMPROVED DRIVER AWARD: L.W. MIller, 36 John Baker Plumbing & Utilities Pontiac
SUNOCO ROOKIE OF THE RACE AWARD: Greg Butcher *, 0 Butcher Racing Chevrolet
* Denotes Sunoco Rookie of the Year Contender