Seuss Returns To Victory Lane At Caraway
Grabs 9th career win in Whelen Southern Modified Tour
ASHEBORO, N.C. (Aug. 26, 2011) – Andy Seuss repeated his win of a year ago at Caraway Speedway with a victory in the Caraway 150 NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour race on Friday night.
The 24-year-old driver from Hampstead, N.H., battled L.W. Miller early and then pulled away from George Brunnhoelzl III in the late stages to score his ninth career series win - his fifth at Caraway in 23 starts.
His last career win came in this event a year ago.
Seuss, who entered the event fifth in the championship standings, had a nearly perfect day at the .455-mile track, topping the practice speeds early and then winning his fifth career Coors Light Pole Award in qualifying.
Although he led from the drop of the green, Seuss had to battle back after L.W. Miller took the lead from him on Lap 14. Seuss muscled his way by and held command from there in his No. 11 Phoenix Pre-Owned/Triad Auto Sales Dodge.
Brunnhoelzl, who started eighth on the grid, worked his way to the front in pursuit of the lead - but in the closing laps Seuss pulled away.
They were followed to the finish by Jason Myers, with Frank Fleming taking fourth and John Smith in fifth. Rounding out the top 10 were Miller, Daniel Hemric, Renee Dupuis, Austin Pack and Burt Myers.
With his runner-up finish, Brunnhoelzl retained his lead in the championship standings with 1,349 points. Smith is second with 1,224, followed by Miller with 1,211, Jason Myers with 1,210 and Seuss with 1,201. Fleming at 1,158, Tim Brown at 1,106, Pack at 1,071, Burt Myers at 882 and Thomas Stinson at 742 complete the top 10 in the standings.
The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour will return to the track next week at Langley Speedway on Saturday, Sept. 3.
For additional information, contact:
Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Caraway 150 Unofficial Results
At Caraway (N.C.) Speedway
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) #11 Andy Seuss, Hampstead, NH, Dodge, 150 laps, 72.735 mph.
2. (8) #09 George Brunnhoelzl III, West Babylon, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
3. (5) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150.
4. (4) #40 Frank Fleming, Mt. Airy, NC, Ford, 150.
5. (12) #25 John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (2) #36 L.W. Miller, Dushore, PA, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (11) #79 Daniel Hemric, Kannapolis, N.C., Pontiac, 150.
8. (9) #59 Renee Dupuis, Glastonbury, Conn., Chevrolet, 150.
9. (7) #31 Austin Pack, Winston-Salem, NC, Chevrolet, 148.
10. (3) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 94, engine.
11. (13) #78 Donnie Lacks, Forrest, Va., Chevrolet, 81, electrical.
12. (6) #02 Tim Brown, Cana, VA, Chevrolet, 69, electrical.
13. (10) #44 Brandon Ward, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 3, engine.
Time of Race: 0 hours 56 minutes 18 seconds
Margin of Victory: 1.144 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: A.Seuss (102.838 mph, 15.928 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 22 laps.
Lead Changes: 2 among 2 drivers.
Lap Leaders: A. Seuss 1-13; L. Miller 14-49; A. Seuss 50-150.
Standings: 1. G. Brunnhoelzl III, 1349; 2. J. Smith, 1224; 3. L. Miller, 1211; 4. J. Myers, 1210; 5. A. Seuss, 1201; 6. F. Fleming, 1158; 7. T. Brown, 1106; 8. A. Pack, 1071; 9. B. Myers, 882; 10. T. Stinson, 742.