Brunnhoelzl Clinches NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour Title
Takes Record Fourth Championship As Burt Myers Grabs Win At Charlotte
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 10, 2013) George Brunnhoelzl III clinched the 2013 championship for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour in the season finale at Charlotte Motor Speedway on Thursday night, to extend his record for tour titles to four.
It also marks the third consecutive tour championship for the 30-year-old West Babylon, N.Y., driver - who in addition to his 2011 and 2012 titles, won the crown in 2009.
To win one championship is crazy enough, but to win three in a row and four is impossible unless you have the people behind me that I do, said Brunnhoelzl. A lot of people work really hard to make all of this happen and I can't thank them enough.
While Brunnhoelzl wrapped up the championship just by taking the green flag in his No. 28 EpoxZ/Oval Speed Chevrolet, there was plenty of drama late in the race as Burt Myers inherited the lead and won the UNOH Southern Slam 150 on the quarter-mile oval at CMS.
Myers took over the top spot when Ryan Preece, who had won the pole and appeared to be headed to his second victory in three starts, slowed with a broken rocker arm in his engine just 12 laps from the finish. Myers, then, paced the field the rest of the way in his No. 1 CitruSafe/Adams Towing & Recovery Ford.
I knew we had a good car, but Ryan's was probably a little better, said the victorious Myers. I was hoping for a caution to make up the track position, but he quit and I turned around my strategy and didn't want a caution.
It marks the third win this season and 11th career tour victory for the 2010 tour champion from Walnut Cove, N.C. - who started fourth on the grid Saturday night. Myers won the inaugural Charlotte race in 2010 and now has four top-five finishes in four starts at the track.
There's nothing like winning here at Charlotte, he said.
Kyle Ebersole, who trailed Brunnhoelzl by 32 points coming into the final race, finished second behind Myers. Brunnhoelzl came home third while Tim Brown and Danny Bohn were fourth and fifth, respectively. Rounding out the top 10 were A.J. Winstead, John Smith, Jason Myers, Luke Fleming and Thomas Stinson.
The UNOH Southern Slam 150 was streamed live on NASCARHomeTracks.com, NASCAR.com's official home for touring and weekly series news and results.
Brunnhoelzl will be honored for his championship season along with NASCAR's other touring series champions on Saturday, Dec. 14 at the NASCAR Touring Series Awards in the Grand Ballroom of the Charlotte (N.C.) Convention Center at the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-UNOH Southern Slam 150 Results
At Charlotte Motor Speedway Quarter-Mile
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (4) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, NC, Ford, 150 laps, 43.760 mph.
2. (3) #5 Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, PA, Ford, 150.
3. (8) #28 George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (2) #02 Tim Brown, Rural Hall, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
5. (11) #65 Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
6. (5) #99 AJ Winstead, Richmond, Va., Chevrolet, 150.
7. (9) #25 John Smith, Mount Airy, NC, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (12) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
9. (6) #40 Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, NC, Ford, 150.
10. (14) #7 Thomas Stinson, Chester, VA, Chevrolet, 150.
11. (7) #04 David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 150.
12. (15) #11 Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 149.
13. (21) #12 Mike Norman, Lewisville, NC, Chevrolet, 149.
14. (13) #2 JR Bertuccio, Centerrach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 146.
15. (1) #41 Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 136, engine.
16. (18) #8 Dalton Baldwin, Dunedin, Fla., Chevrolet, 124.
17. (22) #70 Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 108, overheating.
18. (17) #73 Cole Powell, Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada, Chevrolet, 73, overheating.
19. (10)#97 Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, LA, Chevrolet, 26, suspension.
20. (20) #80 Cody Ware, Greensboro, N.C., Chevrolet, 26, accident.
21. (16) #77 Gary Putnam, Concord, NC, Chevrolet, 26, accident.
22. (19) #82 Danny Watts, Riverhead, N.Y., Chevrolet, 24, accident.
Fastest Qualifier: Ryan Preece, Time: 14.778 Seconds, Speed: 60.901 mph
Time of Race: 0 hrs., 51 mins, 25 secs Average Speed: 43.760 mph Margin of Victory: 1.140 Seconds
Caution Flags: Laps 3-6; 10-13; 19-21; 27-33; 77-78. 5 for 20 laps.
Lap Leaders: Ryan Preece grid, Tim Brown 1-7, Ryan Preece 8-136, Burt Myers 137-150.
Total Laps Led: Ryan Preece 129, Burt Myers 14, Tim Brown 7. 2 changes involving 3 drivers.