Wins His First NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Title;
Myers Takes Season Finale
CONCORD, N.C. (Oct. 9, 2014) – Andy Seuss finished off his first NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour championship Thursday night, as Burt Myers continued his mastery of the quarter-mile at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Myers pulled away from George Brunnhoelzl III on a green-white-checkered end to the Southern Slam 150. It was the third Charlotte win for the Walnut Cove, North Carolina, driver.
Seuss finished fifth to put the final touches on his title run.
The 27-year-old Hampstead, New Hampshire, driver had placed in the top five in tour championship points in each of the previous six seasons, including runner-up in 2009 and 2011. This season, though, he wouldn't be denied. Seuss won three times and recorded 12 top fives in 14 races. He won the season opener and led the championship points since the third race.
JR Bertuccio got past Brunnhoelzl on the final lap to take second. Brunnhoelzl, who won the tour championship in four of the last five years, finished third in the race. Kyle Ebersole was fourth.
Seuss entered the finale with a 17-point lead over Brunnhoelzl and was content to keep his challenger in sight while cruising to the championship. Seuss finished with a 14-point margin over Brunnhoelzl and 23 over Myers, who led the tour with four wins.
Earlier in the day, NASCAR Next driver Ryan Preece won the Coors Light Pole Award. He led until Lap 64 when he had to pull off the track with mechanical issues.
That handed the lead to Brunnhoelzl, who was on point until being overtaken by Myers on Lap 83 and the two swapped the lead over the next several laps. Myers took the top spot for good on Lap 86 and led a race-high 70 laps. A late caution gave Brunnhoelzl one more shot, but Myers was able to hold on for his 15th career win.
Zach Brewer finished sixth at Charlotte, followed by Cole Powell, Mike Norman, Danny Bohn and Luke Fleming.
Seuss will be honored for his championship season along with NASCAR's other touring series champions on Saturday, Dec. 12 at the NASCAR Touring Series Awards in the Grand Ballroom of the Charlotte (N.C.) Convention Center at the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
NASCAR Integrated Marketing Communications
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Southern Slam 150 Results
At Charlotte Motor Speedway Quarter-Mile
Lap length: 0.25 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (3) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 154 laps, 41.684 mph.
2. (9) #2 JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154.
3. (2) #28 George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 154.
4. (7) #5 Kyle Ebersole, Hummelstown, Pa., Ford, 154.
5. (5) #11 Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 154.
6. (6) #09 Zach Brewer, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 154.
7. (4) #73 Cole Powell, Mount Brydges, Ont., Chevrolet, 154.
8. (22) #12 Mike Norman, Lewisville, N.C., Chevrolet, 154.
9. (16) #65 Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 154.
10. (8) #40 Luke Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Ford, 154.
11. (13) #13 Chris Fleming, Mount Airy, N.C., Chevrolet, 154.
12. (19) #77 Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 153.
13. (23) # 70 Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 151.
14. (15) #79 Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Pontiac, 147.
15. (14) #99 A.J. Winstead, Bon Air, Va., Chevrolet, 145.
16. (18) #43 David Calabrese, Toms River, N.J., Chevrolet, 120.
17. (21) #97 Bryan Dauzat, Alexandria, La., Chevrolet, 100, engine.
18. (20) #8 Dalton Baldwin, Dunedin, Fla., Chevrolet, 91.
19. (12) #15 Austin Pack, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 77, oil line.
20. (1) #98 Ryan Preece, Berlin, Conn., Chevrolet, 64, brakes.
21. (11) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 59, overheating.
22. (10) #51 Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 25, accident.
23. (17) #7 Thomas Stinson, Chester, Va., Chevrolet, 1, accident.
24. (24) #72 Bud McIntyre, Easton, Pa., Chevrolet, 0, accident.
Time of Race: 0 hours 55 minutes 25 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.572 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: R.Preece (61.593 mph, 14.612 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 40 laps.
Lead Changes: 4 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: R. Preece 1-64; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 65-82; B. Myers 83; G. Brunnhoelzl,III 84-85; B. Myers 86-154.
Standings: 1. A. Seuss, 583; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 569; 3. B. Myers, 560; 4. J. Bertuccio, 548; 5. D. Bohn, 542; 6. K. Ebersole, 520; 7. L. Fleming, 511; 8. G. Putnam, 477; 9. S. Davis, 475; 10. J. Myers, 465.
Final 2014 Points / Race Photos