Seuss Get Back To Business
Fast Pit Stop Gives Defending Champion First Win of Season
SOPHIA, N.C. – Andy Seuss will take a win any way he can get it and that was the case Friday at Caraway Speedway.
Seuss was able to take the lead in the pits during the second caution of the race and once he got the lead he was able to hold off a strong J.R. Bertuccio to score his first win of the season taking the Davis Roofing 150.
Bertuccio appeared to have the best car of the field after he started from the front row winning his first Coors Light Pole Award of the season during qualifying.
The Centereach, N.Y. swapped the lead with Danny Bohn on Lap 4 and retook the lead on Lap 10 where he built leads by as much as 15 car lengths before a pair of cautions bunched up the field in the event.
Berttucio led until the second caution for debris was given to the field on Lap 118. Seuss took the lead on Lap 120 after pit stops with George Brunnhoelzl III second and Bertuccio third.
Bertuccio was able to quickly get past Brunnhoelzl but could never get beside Seuss to try and make a pass.
Brunnhoelzl came home third with Burt Myers – who entered the day trying for his third consecutive win at Caraway – fourth and Bobby Measmer Jr. fifth.
Rounding out the top-10 was Jeremy Gerstner, Kyle Bosignore, Danny Bohn, Gary Putnam and Bobby Hutchens III.
The win also moved Seuss into a tie with Brunnhoelzl for the most tour wins at Caraway with 12. Seuss now has 22 career wins.
The 2010 champion maintains his points lead with an eight-point advantage over Brunnhoelzl (221-213) with Seuss third at 210.
The southern tour will return to action with its annual stop to historic Bowman Gray Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 6 for the Strutmasters.com 199.
NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour-Davis Roofing 150 Results
Friday At Caraway Speedway Sophia, N.C.
Lap length: 0.455 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (5) #11 Andy Seuss, Hampstead, N.H., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 85.194 mph.
2. (1) #2 JR Bertuccio, Centereach, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
3. (7) #28 George Brunnhoelzl, III, West Babylon, N.Y., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (6) #1 Burt Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 150.
5. (2) #74 Bobby Measmer, Jr., Concord, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
6. (9) #15 Jeremy Gerstner, Wesley Chapel, FL, Chevrolet, 150.
7. (4) #22 Kyle Bonsignore, Bay Shore, NY, Chevrolet, 150.
8. (3) #40 Danny Bohn, Freehold, NJ, Chevrolet, 150.
9. (8)#77 Gary Putnam, Vernon, Conn., Chevrolet, 149.
10. (11) #14 Trey Hutchens, III, Winston-Salem, N.C., Chevrolet, 149.
11. (10) #4 Jason Myers, Walnut Cove, N.C., Ford, 57, suspension.
12. (12) #16 Shawn Balluzzo, Newport News, VA, Chevrolet, 15, handling.
Time of Race: 48 minutes 4 seconds
Margin of Victory: 0.338 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: J.Bertuccio (101.399 mph, 16.154 seconds)
Caution Flags: 2 for 10 laps.
Lead Changes: 3 among 3 drivers.
Lap Leaders: J. Bertuccio 1-3; D. Bohn 4-9; J. Bertuccio 10-119; A. Seuss 120-150.
Standings: 1. B. Myers, 221; 2. G. Brunnhoelzl,III, 213; 3. A. Seuss, 210; 4. D. Bohn, 194; 5. J. Myers, 189; 6. B. Measmer,Jr., 187; 7. K. Bonsignore, 180; 8. G. Putnam, 172; 9. J. Gerstner, 166; 10. K. Ebersole, 159.